Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Life at home.. the first few days!

Well I am adjusting to life at home.  Almost a shame to be back to normality, having to do homework with the kids, cook the meals for them etc.  Miss just relaxing with the Dr & his team in tijuana!

But life goes on!

I have been taking my meds, which I don't like.  I can take them either crushed or cut up, so I choose to cut mine up.  But hard to get them down as I cannot gulp water, I have to sip.  They sometimes don't go down & then I gag.  Just yucky!

In the morning I am taking 3 depression meds, one antibiotic, one chewable multivitamin, one chewable B12, one chewable D3.  Then around lunchtime I start taking chewable calcium citrate, have to take 3 a day.  Then at bedtime one more antibiotic & 2 meds that are like prilosec.

Lot of meds!  But need to keep my vitamins up, so good thing to take them all.

I have to take a shower every day & when the steri-strips come off my incisions then they should be healed.  Today I had to change the bandaids on the incisions as they were coming off.  Incisions all are looking good.

Sipping lots of fluids all day.  I am allowed water, apple juice, orange juice, gatorade, clear broth.  So been sipping on drinks all day to keep my fluids up.

I did have a slight dizzy spell after my shower this morning.  Had to sit down so I didn't faint.  Omar, the coordinator of my Dr said to make sure I am getting lots of gatorade in.  So will up that a bit today.

Oh & also been cleared to start working out at the gym a bit.  Just maybe the treadmill or elliptical, just taking it easy, not too long, not too hard.  If I get tired stop & make sure to sip my fluids!  So may do just 10-20 mins later at the gym.  Will see how I feel & listen to my body.

Lost another 2lbs yesterday.  So lost 14lbs overall since my highest weight before my pre-op diet!

Thanks all for reading my blog & keeping updated on my progress.  Any questions you have, just post & I will try to get back to you!

6 comments:

  1. Hello Sharon, I will be having surgery on 6/8 with Dr. Kelly,and my question is about the vitamins. What is D3 and chewable calcium citrate help you with?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi i'm having surgery within the next month and my doc will send me home with a drain tube. do you have one? btw....thank you so much for taking the time to share you story/experience. you're a big help to many!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to take Vitamin D3 as I have low levels prior to my surgery, so that was prescribed by my Dr. You should not need that, unless your bloodwork shows you need it. Calcium Citrate, I can't remember exactly, but everyone on the Verticalsleevetalk board is taking it & said we need it.

    Dr Kelly said you just need multivitamin & nothing else actually. It was my choice to add the other vitamins in.

    Hope that helps?!

    Oh & good luck, you will love Dr Kelly & his team, they are sooo nice! I miss them right now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, I didn't have a drain tube. Dr Kelly doesn't feel it is necessary.

    Hope that helps & thanks for reading my blog! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Sharon....love reading your Blog!!!

    ReplyDelete