Sunday, May 13, 2012

Welcome to the start of my Gastric Sleeve Journey!

I decided to start up this blog so those close to me can keep up with how I am doing!

A bit of background on me is that I am 38 years old, married to my husband Paul, have 2 beautiful twin girls that are 7 years old & live in New Jersey.

I began my journey in February I think, when I had researched a couple of hospitals local to me & found out I would not be covered by insurance if I wanted to have gastric sleeve surgery.

It was then March when I decided I needed to do this operation for myself & my better health, so started looking at Mexico.  I decided on Dr Kelly in Tijuana Mexico.  I e-mailed several times asking questions before I decided on him.  Omar was always helpful in getting back to me right away.

My start weight of this journey was 252lbs & I am 5'6" tall.

I then booked my surgery for Thursday May 10th with Dr Kelly & also booked my flight from Philadelphia airport to San Diego.  I would be picked up from SD & brought to Tijuana.

2 weeks prior I started to eat a little more healthy with smaller portions, less carbs, less fat, less salt etc.
I didn't really lose much weight on that diet, maybe 3lbs.

Then 3 days pre-op I had a modified liquid diet.  I say modified as some people can only have clear liquids when getting this kind of surgery.  With Dr Kelly I could have chicken broth, water, yoghurt, pureed veggies (like stage 1 consistency), sugar free jello.  So wasn't too bad & lost about 5 more lbs on that diet.

Finally the day was here.  My girls & my husband drove me to the airport & I was off to san diego!
Flight was a little rough as I couldn't drink anything, since midnight the night before.  I was having surgery that day!  So just refused all drinks offered, which was several times!

Arrived at sunny San Diego airport about 40 mins early, so texted Omar to let him know.  Cecy (Dr Kelly's wife) was apparently just leaving to pick me up.  So just a little wait.  She arrived in a white van that said WLSC on the side (weight loss surgery center it stands for), so was easy to spot.

First Cecy took me on a tour of downtown San Diego, stopping for a couple of photo ops! Fun!

Then it was down to business.  We went across the border, which was easy & didn't even need ID, to get to Mexico & Tijuana.  First we went to a clinic where I had my bloodwork done & also had to pee in a cup for other tests.

Next onto the Oasis hospital.  It was a nice new hospital, small, but nice.  Nurses were very friendly.  Was greeted by the hospital coordinator who spoke fluent english, so that was nice.  Then taken to my room.  Room 211.

Got in my gown, hooked up the IV, then off to get chest x-ray & back to the room.  IV hurt a little bit, but nurse was nice & got it in first time.  She also spoke very good english.

I then had an EKG, which was easy, didn't hurt & was normal results.

Dr Kelly came in & greeted me & so did Omar, welcoming me, then Dr Kelly had to go get scrubbed up for surgery!

It all went very quick then, was transferred to a bed & wheeled into the operating room.  There I met the anaesthatist & about 3 other nurses or Drs, I don't even remember who they were!

I remember laying on the table, having to put my arms out to the side, then thinking, am I making the right decision & I was out!

Next thing I remember I was waking up in my hospital bed in my room!  They pulled the tube out that was down my throat which was a little uncomfortable.  But everything else was fine.  I wondered if he had really done the operation as I was in no pain!

Next 2 days consisted of resting, walking the halls with my IV & resting some more.

They put compression stockings on me, gave me slippers to put on & also a small ball machine thing, that I had to periodically blow into, to make the balls go up & down.  This was to clear my lungs of mucus & prevetn pneumonia.

Also nurses would come in regularly to change my IV & give me pain meds & anti-nausea meds & some meds to protect my stomach.  I did have some minor nausea the first 24 hours, some dry heaving, but nothing that bad.

Now onto the hotel!

No comments:

Post a Comment