Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Shopping & the beach!

My last day in Tijuana was on sunday May 13th.  Cecy & Omar showed up early afternoon & had bought me a lovely mothers day present, which was very sweet of them.  A cuddly toy lamb holding a rose and a jewelry set (watch, necklace & earrings).  I was so taken by their kindness & will wear the jewelry & think of them often!

So then we went of out & Cecy drove me to the beach.  Nice area with vendors & Cecy bought me a coconut water to drink, which was really good.  Cecy had cut up coconut with hot sauce on it!  Bleuch!  But Omar said they put hot sauce on everything in Mexico, so guess they think nothing of it! LOL  So we walked down steps to what I would call the boardwalk.  Walked along for a fair way, then back up some steps to the street. 

Oh one thing that was cool was you could see the border between the Tijuana beach & the US beach.  It was thick tall metal railings.  So funny to see how close the US was to us.

We then got back in the van & drove to go shopping.  We stopped first at I guess the main shopping area in tijuana.  There is a pedestrian 'road' with lots of local vendors selling their goods.  I found 2 nice bracelets for my girls $10 for the 2 of them.  Then a beautiful purple cotton bag for me, which I LOVE, for $18.  Whatever they tell you, you can bargain them down a bit!  So don't pay the first price they name.

Then Cecy picked us up again & we went onto a supermarket as I mentioned I wanted to buy some Mexican candy for my 2 girls.  I found barbie kinder surprises for them!  They love kinder surprises & as they are illegal in the USA they only get them when my mother comes to visit from England.  Yes, my Mum smuggles them in & I smuggled them back home.  Shhhh, don't tell customs!  Also found iCarly gum with stickers in it.  The girls love iCarly, so picked that up too.  Richie (Dr Kelly's 7 year old son) came with us & I did offer if he wanted to choose a kinder surprise egg too, but he went off with his mom & found some other candy he liked.

Then it was off to dinner, to another local mexican restaurant, that is right across the street from the hotel.  They specialize in different kinds of mole.  They brought out a sample small plate with 4 kinds of mole & Cecy said I could dip my spoon in, just to get a taste of each.  They were all good, I think the cilantro mole was my fave though.  Then cecy ordered soup broth for all of us too.  The broth was nice.

After that they dropped me at the hotel.  I said my goodbyes to Omar & little Richie as I wouldn't see them again.  Then went to my room to pack & relax.

No comments:

Post a Comment